Main types of Dementia:
- Alzheimer dementia accounts for 70% of dementia cases
- Vascular dementia accounts for 20%
- Parkinson disease dementia and others about 10%
Vascular Dementia – brought about by stroke and causes of stroke are potentially due to the Three Highs 三高 (High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, High Blood Sugar). So regular exercise is important.
Vascular dementia symptoms vary, depending on the part of your brain where blood flow is impaired. Symptoms often overlap with those of other types of dementia, especially Alzheimer’s disease dementia.
Vascular dementia signs and symptoms include:
- Confusion / Disorientation
- Trouble speaking
- Vision loss
These changes may happen at the same time as more familiar physical stroke symptoms, such as a sudden headache, difficulty walking, or numbness or paralysis on one side of the face or the body.
Consider the following strategies can help reduce your risk of diseases that affect your heart and blood vessels — and also may help protect your brain:
- Don’t smoke
- Limit alcohol consumption
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet and exercise regularly (30mins, 5x a week at moderate intensity)
- Keep your blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar within recommended limits